PALO ALTO, Calif. and FRANKFURT, Germany, June 19, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Hewlett Packard Enterprise (NYSE:HPE) today announced a new generation of High Performance Computing (HPC) and artificial intelligence (AI) systems, software and services to accelerate scientific, engineering and business innovation. The new HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10, HPE SGI 8600 and HPE Apollo 10 Series systems are workload-optimized to deliver faster, more efficient insights while reducing vulnerability to cyber-attacks and improving economic control.
The explosive growth in data coupled with increasingly complex HPC and AI algorithms is fueling demand for scalable processing performance. This requires systems that can maximize compute performance, agility, security and flexibility while reducing energy consumption and space utilization, and expertise to manage future technology investment planning.
“Today, customer’s HPC requirements go beyond superior performance and efficiency,” said Bill Mannel, Vice President and General Manager, HPC and AI solutions, Hewlett Packard Enterprise. “They are also increasingly considering security, agility and cost control. With today’s announcements, we are addressing these considerations and delivering optimized systems, infrastructure management and services capabilities that provide A New Compute Experience.”
To help customers meet these needs, HPE is announcing the following:
New Optimized Systems for Extreme Compute Performance
HPE SGI 8600 System – The first co-created system since HPE acquired SGI, the HPE SGI 8600 is a liquid cooled petascale system, based on the legacy SGI ICE XA architecture, purpose-built to solve the most complex scientific, engineering and national security challenges and:
- Delivers industry’s fastest parallel processing performance1
- Scales to more than 10,000 nodes without additional switches using integrated switches and hypercube technology2
- Offers more choice and flexibility based on industry standards
HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 System – The next generation of HPE’s large commercial, air-cooled, HPC platform was redesigned to deliver over 300 teraflops per rack, higher rack-scale efficiency and exceptional price performance. The HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 is also the most secure HPC system in the world3 leveraging a unique “silicon root of trust” technologyfor security threat protection. Key new capabilities of this system include:
- Industry leading reliability, accessibility, serviceability and manageability
- Greater application licensing efficiency
- Reduced latency and higher IOPs performance
- Reduced power consumption and cooling requirements
Chemical company BASF, one of the first users of the HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 system, jointly developed a supercomputerfor the digital transformation of chemical research with HPE. This is the largest supercomputer used for industrial chemical research and enables BASF to reduce computer simulation and modeling times from months to days, accelerating time to market and lowering costs.
HPE Apollo 10 Series – New cost effective platforms, optimized for entry level Deep Learning and AI applications that are easy to manage and deploy. The HPE Apollo sx40 System is a 1U dual socket Intel Xeon Gen10 server with support for up to 4 NVIDIA Tesla SXM2 GPUs with NVLink. The HPE Apollo pc40 System is a 1U dual socket Intel Xeon Gen10 server with support for up to 4 PCIe GPU cards.
HPE and Biovista Collaboration – This collaboration will leverage HPE’s Compute capabilities and Biovista’s Big Data AI engine, Project Prodigy, to identify and validate new therapeutic options for personalized medicine, and apply this approach at the community hospital setting, including in Biovista’s existing collaborations with community hospitals.
“HPE’s new compute experience is designed to enhance security by reducing vulnerabilities to denial of service and malware attacks while providing more flexible, on-demand infrastructure consumption options for HPC deployments,” said Steve Conway, Senior Vice President of Research, Hyperion Research. “The new performance, scale and efficiency innovations for the HPE SGI 8600 and HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 demonstrate HPE’s continued systems innovation and the successful integration of the SGI acquisition.”
A New Compute Experience for HPC and AI
HPE’s HPC systems are enhanced by a new compute experience designed to address the data intense needs of HPC and AI customers. The key elements of the HPC experience include:
- Enhanced firmware security – Designed to protect top secret, highly confidential information, HPE offers the industry’s first industry standard servers with firmware anchored into the silicon with the highest level of security, according to the Commercial National Security Algorithms.
- Increased agility with software defined HPC capabilities – The new HPE Performance Software Suite for HPC consists of the following elements:
– HPE Performance Software – Core Stack 2.2 – pre-built HPC solution that brings together open source, third party and HPE built components into a single integrated distribution.
– HPE Insight Cluster Management Utility 8.2 and New HPE SGI Management Suite 3.5 – comprehensive system management solutions offering enhanced provisioning, management and monitoring to simplify operations.
– HPE Performance Software – Message Passing Interface – libraries and optimization tools to enhance HPC application performance.
- Validated, optimized and integrated third party software solutions for workload management and application software development to enhance agility and productivity.
- New and Enhanced Services for HPC and AI – HPE Pointnext is introducing advisory, professional, and operational services that accelerate time to value for HPC and AI. HPE Flexible Capacity will extend to HPC and AI customers to manage unpredictable demand, raise utilization levels, and reduce total cost of ownership.
HPE Leadership in Top500 and Green500
HPE continues to lead the recently published Top500 and Green500 supercomputer rankings with a significantly larger number of systems compared to next nearest vendor. The HPE SGI 8600 system in the TSUBAME 3.0 cluster deployed at Tokyo Institute of Technology is the #1 ranked system in the Green500.
HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 System, HPE Apollo sx40, HPE Apollo pc40, HPE SGI 8600 System will be globally available via HPE and HPE channel partners in July 2017. HPE Pointnext services for these new HPC and AI solutions will be available later this year.
About Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Hewlett Packard Enterprise is an industry leading technology company that enables customers to go further, faster. With the industry’s most comprehensive portfolio, spanning the cloud to the data center to workplace applications, our technology and services help customers around the world make IT more efficient, more productive and more secure.