BRAMPTON, ON, July 22, 2019, /CNW/ – Canon Canada Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is proud to announce that it has been awarded LEED® Gold for New Construction and Major Renovations 2009 certification for its corporate headquarters, located in Brampton, Ontario.
Canon Canada’s head office reflects the company’s commitment to sustainability and the environment. Surrounded by expansive, community-accessible green space, the 180,000-square-foot five-story building includes elements that encourage collaboration, foster well-being and promote practices that reduce its carbon footprint. “We wanted to design a building that is respectful of the environment,” says Nobuhiko Kitajima, President, and CEO of Canon Canada. “Our environmental charter outlines eight guiding principles, including pursuing pollution prevention, and energy and resource conservation in all activities. This certification recognizes this commitment to sustainability.”
The LEED® green building program is the pre-eminent program for the design, construction, maintenance, and operation of high-performance green buildings. LEED® Certified buildings meet one of the highest environmental performance standards in the world, assessed by site development, water efficiency, energy efficiency, material section, indoor air quality and innovation in design.
“We congratulate Canon Canada on the successful LEED Gold certification of their Brampton headquarters,” says Thomas Mueller, President and CEO of the Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC) and GBCI Canada. “It’s heartening to see one of the world’s most respected brands aligning their corporate philosophy with LEED, the globally recognized standard for sustainability in the building industry. By certifying to LEED Gold, Canon demonstrates their commitment to innovation—not only in their products—but also in creating a healthy, productive, and environmentally responsible workspace for their employees. ”
Canon Canada collaborated with Colliers Project Leaders and architects Moriyama & Teshima to build the space. Here are the major features of Canon Canada’s LEED® Gold-certified headquarters:
- Energy reduction and efficiency are built-in to the building’s lighting and cooling/heating systems, with LED lighting that helps to save approximately 70 to 80% of energy (compared with traditional 60W incandescent lights) and building systems are set to shut off after hours to help reduce energy.
- Natural light and solar-adaptive shading help to maximize daylight in the office while minimizing glare and solar heat, simultaneously aiding in the regulation of lighting and temperature.
- Rooftop greywater collection system helps save 20%of the building’s annual domestic city water usage (the equivalent of 4.5 million bottles of water); the water is reused for flushing and irrigation.
- Energy-saving office technologies like Canon’s own multifunction devices and display projectors automatically power down to minimize energy consumption in all meeting and copier rooms.
- A sophisticated kitchen digestion system helps divert and reduce organic waste from landfills.
- Encouraging employees to reduce carbon emissions by offering premium parking for green vehicles, employees that carpool as well as sheltered bicycle parking.
- Employees and the surrounding residential community enjoy an expansive community green space, including a pond and recreational path, 6,000 drought-resistant shrubs, and 200 drought-resistant trees to promote the area’s wildlife biodiversity.
- Phasing out the sale single-use plastic water bottles and plastic straws have begun at the headquarters and at all Canon Canada’s 13 office locations across the country by the end of 2019.
Canon Canada is committed to continuously improving and contributing to environmental sustainability in meaningful ways: from running its annual Branch Out employee volunteer program across Canada to working with local schools and organizations for Environmental Education Day to, more recently, receiving the Healthy Workplace Award from the Brampton Board of Trade.
About Canon Canada Inc.
Headquartered in Brampton, Ontario, Canon Canada Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Canon USA, is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business and medical digital imaging solutions. Innovation and cutting-edge technology have been essential ingredients in Canon’s success. Canon Canada Inc. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent Canadian-based service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon Canada Inc. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. For more information, please visit http://canon.ca, or follow the company on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using @CanonCanada
About GBCI Canada
Jointly owned by the Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC) and Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI), GBCI Canada accelerates green building market transformation and impact in Canada. GBCI Canada provides customer service and certification services in Canada with its suite of offerings, which include the LEED green building rating systems, as well as the PEER standard for power systems, the WELL Building Standard, the Sustainable SITES Initiative (SITES) for land use, Parksmart for parking structures, TRUE Zero Waste, the Investor Confidence Project (ICP) for energy efficiency retrofits, and the GRESB benchmark. For more information: gbcicanada.
SOURCE Canon Canada
Leave A Comment