Marketing can be a challenging endeavor for small- to medium-sized businesses (SMBs), which lack the marketing teams and budgets of large companies. This lack of resources puts SMBs at a real disadvantage, especially given the numerous marketing channels available today both online and offline. Therefore, it’s imperative SMBs avoid common pitfalls facing them when developing their marketing strategies.
According to Chris Mindnich, ECi Software Solutions’ Director of Field Marketing, five common marketing mistakes SMBs should avoid are:
1. Not having a clearly defined and articulated mission statement.
2. Not having a mapped-out marketing plan that supports the company mission.
3. Not knowing your target customer(s)
4. Not having a Unique Value Proposition (UVP) or Unique Selling Proposition (USP)
5. Not marketing your people